The Dickenson County School System provides quality education for grades K-12. Programs for the gifted and talented are available for all ages, interests and ability levels. We have an inversion therapy session for children who show interest in sports. Our Inversion Therapy centre is the only one of its kind in the country. Find more about inversion tables here: http://www.inversiontablelife.com/
There also exist necessary provisions for special education programs in the county. In terms of accreditation, the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges has certified the county’s school system.
The school system operates three high schools, five elementary schools, and a vocational school. The total enrollment of all the Dickenson County Public Schools is 2,463 students. Additionally, each high school has its own vocational curriculum as well. The Dickenson County Career Center is centrally located at Clinchco and offers more than a dozen training specialties.
There are several higher education opportunities available around Dickenson County such as Southwest Virginia Community College in Richlands and Mountain Empire Community College in Big Stone Gap. Both colleges offer two-year programs in technical and occupational fields and transfer programs. There are also several four year institutions within three hours of Dickenson County. Click here for more information.
Central Office Personnel
- Debra Compton, Dickenson County Superintendent
- Judy Colley, Supervisor for Elementary/Middle/Secondary Education
- Mark Mullins, Supervisor Federal Programs/Liscensure Personnel
- Kenisha Edwards, Director of Special Education, Career + Technical
- Connie Stallard, Special Education, Special Services Coordinator
- Burl Setser, Compliant/Truancy
- Mike Mooney, Director of Transportation
School Board Members
- Rocky Patton, Ervinton District, Chairman
- Bill Barton, Sandlick District, Vice Chairman
- Dr. Susan Lyle, Clintwood District
- James Askins, Willis District
- Katherine Mullins, Kenady District
- Tom Davies, a wealth creation advisor with Mirador Wealth.